Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: school consolidation

  1. #11
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Why would they have to stretch it out? Classes are half the time in a 6 class schedule, so you still get in the same amount of work.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  2. #12
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Why would they have to stretch it out? Classes are half the time in a 6 class schedule, so you still get in the same amount of work.
    The subjects really aren't that long and difficult, I mean if it's like he said and a lesson a day, that seems like it would run out after all that time. When he says "mastered", I think of teachers printing off a thousand worksheets as filler time, which happens with block scheduling and IMO be worse with period.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Because he's ignorant about 90% of the subjects he posts about.. That's why I don't even respond to him anymore. I listen to know nothing teen age conveesation enough at work to come home and do it on here..
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  4. #14
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by sup-rbeast View Post
    Because he's ignorant about 90% of the subjects he posts about.. That's why I don't even respond to him anymore. I listen to know nothing teen age conveesation enough at work to come home and do it on here..
    Then it should be easy to disprove what I say. You'll reply until you have nothing, then it's "can't argue with a kid" ****.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    What I am saying R13, is why is it anymore drawn if classes go the whole year instead of half time the year, yet class length is half the time? I went to HS in both systems. My first year we were in the 7 block setup year round including a study hall. From then on we were flipped to block scheduling. There are benefits and disadvantages to both depending upon the course IMO.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #16
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    If it's the same format basically, same amount of material a day, wouldn't the period schedule run out pretty quick? By the end of the semester, we were done and it was pretty much the same pace it looks like with the period scheduling - at least in most of the classes I took - so wouldn't teachers have to do things to drag it out the whole year?

  7. #17
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    You don't cover the same amount in a day. You cover half as much because the classes are half as long.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #18
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    By the end of the semester, we were done and it was pretty much the same pace it looks like with the period scheduling - at least in most of the classes I took - so wouldn't teachers have to do things to drag it out the whole year?
    What Stripes said...plus, my main complaint with teachers and the scheduling now is that it's all SOL oriented, you don't do any actual learning of the subject--it's more "know this b/c it's on the SOL's" than "you should know this and learn it well because it's a part of this subject".

    For instance, there's all kinds of cool stuff I learned outside of the textbook in school that teachers would let us know about. We watched more educational videos. We linked stuff we did in the last six weeks to stuff we learned in the first six weeks...and we remembered that stuff we learned early on b/c we had time to tie it all in together. We did more experiments/projects to apply what we learned instead of studying to a test. And--most importantly--we were encouraged to discuss subjects in class more with the teacher than I've been told is done today, solely due to the SOL pressures. So--it's a two-fold issue to me, the SOL's and block really handcuff people.

    I'm like Stripes--my last year of HS is when we went from period scheduling to block. In period, we could learn World History from beginning to present day in one class over the year. In block, you had to take World History from pre-history up to the American Revolution, then take another class to get from WWI to present-day. You break it up like that, you don't get to tie it all together as well, especially if something happens that you have a different teacher from one part to another. That's just one example, but it's pretty applicable in other subjects as well.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post
    What Stripes said...plus, my main complaint with teachers and the scheduling now is that it's all SOL oriented, you don't do any actual learning of the subject--it's more "know this b/c it's on the SOL's" than "you should know this and learn it well because it's a part of this subject".
    That is very much the truth. Look around at all these kids right now taking the SOLs. A perfect score is 600. There are a large number of 600's coming out of these tests locally. But ask those same kids to do math that's on their education level but wasn't on the SOL and they're lost. Ask one that scored perfect on reading to spell a common word and they wont know where to start.

    Memorize the SOL only, then flush the material. That's how the schools operate (not much choice anymore).
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  10. #20
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: school consolidation

    I'm about thisclose to renaming this thread "SOL Factory Consolidation" instead of "school consolidation".

    Knowledge is something that's applied. Book smarts are guaged via testing. Major difference, and our educational system is missing the mark as far as that goes.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •